Allow me to introduce you to CoreToons! CoreToons are sample animated explanation videos that were created by some of our authors using the PowToons program http://www.powtoon.com/.
Our goal in developing CoreToons was to provide explanations and clarifications that not only aligned to the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics, but also conveyed the spirit and intent of the standards. You can access our sample toons at each of the links below:
Adding Decimals 6.NS.B.2
Adding Rational Numbers on the Number Line: 7.NS.A.1-2
Comparing Numbers Expressed in Scientific Notation 8.EE.A.3
We created some samples to get you going. Now, it's your turn. Get your creative juices flowing and create a CoreToon. If you follow the guidelines below, we'll add it to our collection. Creators of the top three submissions will each receive a $10 Amazon gift card!
Your CoreToon should:
- Align to a grade 5 – high school algebra readiness CCSS http://www.corestandards.org/Math
- Align to the CCSS Progressions http://ime.math.arizona.edu/progressions/
- Be mathematically correct
- Be age appropriate
- Be near 1 minute but not more than 3 minutes long
- Include succinct clear grammar
- Include clear images
- Include music that enhances rather than competes with animation
Please submit the title (including the CCSS) along with the link to your CoreToon to firstname.lastname@example.org for your CoreToon creations by January 6, 2014 to be eligible for the gift cards!!! Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
We look forwarding to the possibility of showcasing your CoreToon on our website! Happy CoreTooning!